Baling wire stuff

Redneck jokes aside, baling wire is a great way to hold broken stuff together when function is more important than form.  Sometimes the driver is cheap, but sometimes replacement parts aren’t available and you just need to get running again.  Here some past hacks and a home for those to come.

Garage door opener light covers

Maybe the first baling wire fix in recent memory was when the plastic diffusers around the garage door opener lights fell and broke.  There were at least 2 rounds of repairs somewhere around 2013 (and I finally found the pics!).  In addition to rejoining major breaks, various small tabs that allowed the covers to be hooked into place were reinvented.

It looks like this wasn’t quite a “baling wire” fix, as I used white insulated solid copper wire in a nod to keeping the white plastic covers a little less ugly.  Didn’t matter much when the light was on, tho. 🙂

Snow blower exhaust chute

While I think the first repair to this heavy black polyethylene part was a year or two earlier, I took more “stitches” and finally got around to taking pictures of this snowblower exhaust chute repair in 3/17.  This was a completely proper baling wire/Frankenstein fix.  Somehow a replacement chute wasn’t available.

Yeah, while I bent the ends down as best I could, I still had to be careful to not brush my sleeves over those nasty places.  But it was completely functional and I could clear snow again!

Hmm.. just checked (12/18) and the hacked chute is on the shelf and a new one is on the blower.  Must have found a replacement somewhere.

License plate holder patch

On 3/9/17 I made a baling wire fix to the broken Square Dance license plate holder on the blue Prius.  Two holes and a piece of wire, and it was dramatically improved.  It’s a temporary fix, until I can get a new plate holder.  But at least it doesn’t rattle every time I close the trunk.

10/5/17:  I’d bought a new license plate holder a couple of years ago to host new signage, presumably about square dancing.  Hasn’t been built up yet, so I had to patch the old one again for the new plate I just received.  Kept the piece of wire, drilled new holes in the new plate.  Might have lost a small piece, but used washers to hold plate and holder to the car.  Still ugly, still functional.

Flashlight fix

Some time in 12/18 I went to use the flashlight that lives in the car.  To ensure the end push switch wasn’t accidentally hit while banging around in the console, I’d lightly press fit a bottle cap over the end.  But when I took it off this time, the whole end cap of the light broke off!  I guess the plastic just got brittle (and after only 11 years!).

After a little grumbling about having bought a nice brand name flashlight for the car so it would last a while, I ordered a couple of aluminum-body lights (that seem to be much nicer than the HF junk ones) for the 2 cars.  I stuck bottle caps on their ends too, but I’m guessing the aluminum won’t break.  (And Lauren’s car got an upgrade from the ancient incandescent bulb clunker it had.)

So what do I do with the old Garrity?  It has a nice rubbery body and is very visible, but is critically broken.  I could epoxy it, but that’s only good for one set of batteries.  Hmm… there’s a shoulder that might let me clamp the top on.  Where’s my baling wire?

The 20ga galvanized wire soldered nicely.  I’ve gotten more anal or careful or something over the years, and actually measured and marked the wire to get a neat, symmetrical holder.  It’s still farther off than I’d hoped, but fully functional.  And now the computer bench has a nice new flashlight that’s easy to find and whose switch is WAY more reliable than its various predecessors.

Cyclone dust separator

When I finally (10/3/19)  got around to installing the cyclone dust separator for the contractor saw in the garage, a really attractive configuration was to connect the separator input directly to the dust port on the saw.  But how could I support its weight?

A shelf for the dust receptacle (a clear box from Container Store) to rest on would have to be very precisely the correct height (and from the saw, not the table) due to the fairly rigid connection with the dust port.  I needed a sky hook!  Gluing to the polypropylene separator body wasn’t very attractive.

Baling wire (OK, 0.10″/12 ga is heavy baling wire) to the rescue.  A loop around the body solved the gluing problem, and two pieces hooked around a bar on the saw provide completely sufficient mechanical support.  Yes, there’s still an unresolved issue with tilting the blade (as the dust port moves as the blade tilts), but I’ll cope for that infrequent use case to have the separator in place for the great majority of my cuts.

A second possible baling wire application would be a support for the receptacle bottom run from top short edge around the bottom back to the other top short edge, fitted to just clip over the top.  Any other band with velcro, zip tie etc around would do about as well.  And the container snaps on to the top well enough that it would probably survive (as it is now) with nothing.  Maybe later.

This entry was posted in Baling wire and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *